Sunday, October 4, 2009

nothing

I was talking to a very wise friend about baptism. He was sharing his questions and insights with me. One insight in particular struck me. When Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, Matthew 3:17 recounts a voice from Heaven declaring, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." (NIV)

Up until this point, what had Jesus done for God (ministry-wise)? Nothing. He got baptized before entering into public ministry. What does this teach the rest of us? That God is pleased with us, as we are. We don't have to do anything, and He already delights in us, His children.

I'm re-reading The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning, and I just love his references to Song of Songs. I am His beloved, and His desire is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment