Monday, July 25, 2011

Samuel

I've been going through the book of 1 Samuel lately. I love this book, because we get introduced to King David, one of the best and most Godly men that ever walked the Earth.

I'm in chapter 26 right now, where God showed favor to David while Saul was hunting him, and allowed David to cut off a piece of Saul's robe while in a cave and later take Saul's spear and a jug of water while he slept. Both times, David's men told him to kill Saul, because God had given him an amazing opportunity to kill his enemy. But David wouldn't hear of it, because God had anointed Saul as king, and he had more reverence for God's anointed than he had of his own well-being. He was so trusting of God to deal with Saul and himself according to His good and perfect will that he wouldn't harm Saul at all.

Side note: this is going to be a long post, I can already tell. Sorry.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my friendships. About how many of them won't last following graduation. About which ones will truly matter. And it's actually been kinda depressing, because of the hundreds of friends from high school that I had, I really only keep in touch with about 5. Not a very good track record. It makes me want to give up on current friendships, because I don't think they're going to last much longer.

But reading about David's faith and conviction that God had anointed Saul to be in the position he was in made me re-think my friendships. Maybe all of us are God's anointed, and He has hand-picked us to be exactly where we are right now, with the people we are with, right now. And if that is so, then who am I to sever ties with the people God has placed in my life and ordered me to love? Why should I worry or even fear the future, because God's plan is so sovereign and perfect.

And I have to trust that even though heartbreak is real and hard, God is still good. Even if friends fade away over the next few years. Because I will see every one of my Christian friends again anyways. For eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment