Saturday, August 20, 2011

redwoods



There is nothing sweeter to me than seeing the redwood tree forest.

I can't quite explain it, but a sort of irresistible joy, peace and sense of safety falls over me. I have this urge to stop and stare at and maybe even hug the trees. It's like being a camper all over again. I wish I could stay there forever.

The redwoods have been a symbol of God's love for me throughout the years. Every time I come back to the redwoods, they stand tall and straight and majestic as ever, even though I've changed and grown and experienced so much life. Those redwoods represent the Lord's steadfast and never-changing love. When I was 10 and ecstatic to be back at summer camp, the sight of the trees along 17 made me squirm with anticipation of a week of childhood fun. When I was 16 and heartbroken by the death of a friend, those trees offered me comfort and hope. When I was 18 and my last time as a camper at Mount Hermon, those trees gave me courage and strength to leave the people I knew to make a life for myself in SLO. Now that I'm 21 and I've been away for a while, the redwoods reminded me of God's faithfulness and devotion to me.

Those redwood trees are God's way of romancing me. He makes me swoon sometimes. The tenderness with which He interacts with me is better than anything I could have ever asked for.

Standing in front of the redwood forest today reminded me of how great His care is for me. It reminded me that just as the redwoods are always in the same place, God's always there for me, but while I'm going through my life in SLO, I'm not always present to sit and enjoy Him. But when I take the time to meet with and enjoy Him, He will always be there and there is always peace and safety in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment