Wednesday, January 30, 2013

baptize

There is something so powerful, so inexplicably moving about baptisms. I am so humbled every time I have the privilege of watching someone be baptized - it reminds me that the cross is indeed the power of God to those being saved.

I love redemption stories. At Reality, there were two that stood out. A young, burly college guy, who held himself with so much confidence, I assumed he was a business major, stood up and shared his name. But when he started sharing his testimony, there was a long pause as he began choking up. Finally, all he could manage to get out through his sobs was, "Jesus has changed my life!" Such a simple phrase, but it was powerful. Clearly, God's grace was so tangible in his life. It was a glorious day to share that moment with him.

Another girl, Jennifer, spoke so quietly I had to really strain to hear her words. Everything she said was well thought-out and very intelligent. But when she began to explain why she wanted to get baptized today, she also choked up. "I can no longer deny the grace of God in my life." Death to self never looked so beautiful.

Amazing how all of our intellect and strengths and self-esteem are rendered worthless in light of how wonderful and unjust Christ's sacrifice was for us. Sometimes God's grace feels close to me and other times, I wander far from Him, but moments like these remind me of what it cost to have my relationship with my Creator, and how much He still finds me worth it all.

"Oh, praise the One who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead!"

No comments:

Post a Comment